Baker County Transitional Services

A successful transition from institution life to pro-social community member takes dedication from the individual going through the process. Baker County Sheriff’s Office/Parole and Probation Division’s Transition Program will give inmates returning to a community tools to aide in the process.

The transition program begins prior to release from an institution. While incarcerated, it is normal to plan for a life outside of a prison setting. Far too often, supervision is not worked into that plan. Between 30 and 90 days before release, a Baker County Parole/Probation Officer will contact the individual in the institution. During this telephone “reach-in” it is a great opportunity for both the PO and the inmate to ask questions. A PO will attempt to gather information in regard to what needs an inmate may have upon release. The inmate can ask about how conditions of supervision apply to their specific circumstance. When an inmate is released, they will know who their PO is, where to report and have a good idea about what their supervision will look like. The intent is to give the incarcerated individual the ability to work supervision into their long-term plans and goals.


Employment in Baker County, as in the entire nation at this point is sparse. With that being said, many motivated individuals on supervision find work. It can mean full time employment or a number of part-time jobs. The local Employment Office, coupled with Training and Employment Consortium assist a number of offenders each week find employment. PO’s will also assist in finding of employment through a number of ways. It may be frustrating, although extremely rewarding once employment is gained.


There are some housing prospects in Baker County, but in most cases, funds are required. For indigent offenders, Baker County has an 8 bed transitional house managed by the Parole and Probation office. While the house was established as short-term living situation, offenders have been allowed to stay in this facility for a couple of months, depending on the situation. A nominal rent is charged, however, we understand that some offenders do not have the ability to pay immediately upon release. Food is not provided and will be up to the individual living at the transitional house. Local food banks and other community partners have been extremely willing to assist in the past. The local Salvation Army has also been a great resource for clothing for indigent persons.


As Baker County is in a rural setting, treatment resources are scarce. Blue Mountain Addictions Program offers alcohol and drug treatment, anger management, domestic violence treatment and cognitive restructuring treatment. Baker County pays for a portion of the cognitive restructuring program, but supervised individuals are required to pay for a bulk of their services.

Mountain Valley Mental Health provides mental health treatment and some other programming for the offender population

Northeast Oregon Compassion Center is a Christian-based treatment program that offers domestic violence programming, parenting classes and anger management.

H2G provides sex offender treatment to individuals in Baker County. Assessments and intakes usually take place in Baker City, but treatment groups are held in nearby La Grande (Union County).

Other programs and providers are used on a case-by-case basis. Some programs offer sliding fee scale for payment, others do not.

There are also a number of community support meetings held on a weekly basis to assist individuals in need of such programs.

Health Care Safety Net Clinics

Contact Information

Your Parole/Probation Officer will be your main point of contact for the services listed above and will assist you in contacting these and other agencies/community partners. People are successful on supervision when they have an open and honest relationship with their PO. If a person chooses to be untruthful to their PO, it is difficult, if not impossible for the PO to assist them.

Our office is located at 2610 Grove Street in Baker City, Oregon 97814 (541) 523-8217.

We can help you plant a seed, but it is up to you to make the seed grow and prosper.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License