Q. My tickets are over five years, old and I've heard that they are past the statute of limitation. Why do I need to clear those tickets?

A. If your driving privileges are suspended for failure to appear in a court or failure to comply with a court's requirements prior to Jan. 1, 2008, the law allowed DMV the authority to waive the requirement of receiving a notice of clearance from a court after five years. However, effective Jan. 1, 2008, the law changed to increase the length of time a person's driving privileges are suspended for fail to appear or fail to comply from five years to 10 years. The five- or 10-year statute of limitation applies only to DMV and does not prevent the court from sending in a new notice for us to suspend driving privileges. If DMV receives a new notice to suspend, we add the suspension to the driver record and mail a notice of suspension to the address of record.

Q. I have completed or am going to participate in an alcohol treatment program where I am incarcerated. It is an intensive program that meets requirements for alcohol and drug treatment. Will this program be able to send you the alcohol treatment certificate required to reinstate my suspension for DUII?

A. When driving privileges are suspended for driving under the influence of intoxicants (in Oregon, DMV needs to receive a DUII Treatment Completion Certificate, form number 735-6821, from an out-patient treatment program approved by the Addictions and Mental Health Division. Although treatment programs provided while incarcerated may be approved programs for providing information and treatment, they provide in-patient treatment and therefore are not eligible to complete the treatment certificate that we require to reinstate a DUII suspension.

Q. What does lifetime or permanent revocation mean?

A. When a court orders us to revoke a person's driving privileges permanently or for a lifetime it is because the person was convicted of murder or manslaughter in the first degree and that it was determined the person used a motor vehicle as a dangerous weapon resulting in the death of another person; or that the person was convicted of felony driving while under the influence of intoxicants or convicted for a third or subsequent DUII offense.
If driving privileges are lifetime or permanently revoked, the law says that the person may file a petition in the circuit court of the county in which the person resides for an order restoring driving privileges no sooner than 10 years after released on parole or post prison supervision; or 10 years after the person is sentenced to probation if the probation is not revoked and the person is not sentenced to imprisonment. DMV cannot restore driving privileges after being permanently revoked until the court sends us an order to do so.

Q. It has been more than 10 years since my DUII suspension. Why do I need a DUII Treatment Completion Certificate?

A. There is no statute of limitation for the requirement to receive a DUII Treatment Completion Certificate form number 735-6821.

Q. Can you send me a copy of my driving record?

A. To receive a copy of your driving record you will need to send a request to our Record Services Unit at: DMV Record Services, 1905 Lana Ave NE, Salem OR 97314-2340. There is a $1.50 fee for a non-employment driving record; a $2.00 fee for an employment driving record or a $3.00 fee for a certified court print.

Click here to return back to the DMV Reentry Information.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License