Klamath County Drug and Alcohol Treatment Resources

If you could do one thing that would help your child succeed in school, live a healthier life, and
develop to his or her fullest potential, would you do it?1

If you answered "yes," then talk with your child about alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs.
There are six key things you can do to help your child grow up drug free:1

  1. Establish and maintain good communication with your child.
  2. Get involved in your child’s life.
  3. Make clear rules and enforce them with consistency and appropriate consequences.
  4. Be a positive role model.
  5. Teach your child to choose friends wisely.
  6. Monitor your child’s activities.1

1 U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and SAMHSA’s National Clearing House For Alcohol and Drug Information

Whether you…

Need drug and/or alcohol treatment for yourself;
Are a parent who is looking for prevention or treatment information for your child; or
Are a youth who needs help for yourself or a friend …

There are some valuable resources locally and on-line that can help you, as follows:

Klamath Alcohol & Drug Abuse, Inc. - KADA (541) 882-7248
Serves: All
Services: Alcohol and drug treatment, A & D assessments, referrals to other agencies as needed, DUII Diversion treatment, and various groups for alcohol and drug treatment.

Klamath Community Treatment Center - KCTC (541) 883-2795
Serves: All
Services: KCTC’s philosophy is to offer services to anyone entering its doors. Drug/alcohol education groups, 12-step self-help groups, cognitive restructuring, breaking barriers, family therapy, cultural education, anger management.

Klamath Tribes (541) 783-2219
Serves: Native Americans/community members
Services: Alcohol and drug abuse treatment, education, employment, housing, social services, transportation, behavioral health, dental clinic, medical clinic, health education, public health nursing, and pharmacy.

Lutheran Community Services NW (541) 883-3471
Serves: Adults, youth and families – OHP and private insurance accepted; Sliding fee scale based on income.
Services: outpatient alcohol & drug, Parent education and support; counseling, evaluations, therapy, and mental health

Alcoholics Anonymous -AA Hotline (541) 883-4970
Alanon (Adults) - 883-4062
Alateen (Teens) - 850-3932
Serves: Adults and Teens
Services: 12-step program; support groups for adults and teens

Life Recovery Network (541) 882-4646
Serves: All
Services: The purpose of the Life Recovery Network is to allow us to become free from life’s hurts, hang-ups, and habits. Chemical addictions include alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription medications, or any other chemical.

Issue Project (541) 833-3471
Serves: Youth, 6th-12th grades
Services: Provides voluntary drug and alcohol counseling in the schools for prevention, intervention, and treatment of student alcohol, tobacco and other drug use throughout Klamath County. Small group settings provide a caring and healthy environment for students to learn and develop their strengths and skills. On-site assessment and treatment is offered to students who require and desire more than prevention groups can offer. During the screening process, the needs of the family unit also may be assessed and referrals made to community agencies or programs.

Narcotics Anonymous (NA) (541) 883-4976
Serves: All
Services: 12-step programs; support groups for adults and teens for alcohol and drug addiction and abuse.

Oregon Partnership (800) 282-7035
Alcohol and Drug Help Line: (800) 923-HELP
Alcohol and Drug Youth Line: (877) 553-TEEN
Spanish Help Line: (877)-515-7848
E-mail: gro.pihsrentrapro|ofni#gro.pihsrentrapro|ofni
Website: www.orpartnership.org
Serves: All
Services: Do you or someone you know need help for addiction to alcohol or 9 other drugs? Call the above help lines for free and confidential referral information, 24 hours a day. Oregon Partnership is the first alcohol and drug helpline in the nation to gain accreditation as a “Crisis Intervention Program” through the American Association of Suicidology (AAS).

Parent Aid (541) 883-5336
Serves: All – Free to any parent of a child under age 18
Services: Provides free confidential drug testing for any child under 18 years of age. The test is completely private, results are confidential, and no personal information about the test is kept by the police department. What if the test result is positive? When test results are positive, every effort is made to provide the parent and child with information regarding drug treatment programs and other community based support services available to them. If you suspect your child may be using drugs, don’t delay. Look for some of the warning signals. They may be your first clues to a drug problem:

  • Deterioration in school performance
  • Secrecy
  • Behavior problems
  • High-risk behavior such as stealing
  • Extreme mood swings (watch for depression)
  • Sexual promiscuity
  • Withdrawal from family activities
  • Changes in friends
  • Changes in eating habits
  • Changes in sleep patterns
  • Difficulty waking adolescent
  • Peculiar odors on clothing
  • Missing alcohol or money from home
  • Slurred speech
  • Appearing spaced-out
  • Dilated pupils
  • Presence of drug paraphernalia (pipes, pill boxes, straws, spoons, cigarette papers, etc… .)
  • Clothing depicting drug themes

Website Resources
www.health.org - A one-stop resource for information about substance abuse prevention and addiction treatment. (800) 729-6686

www.orpartnership.org - Valuable resources for parents, educators and youth regarding drug and alcohol prevention, treatment, helplines, resources, etc.

www.parentingisprevention.org - Provides parents with tips, informational
resources, and links to local and national programs to help keep their kids drug-free.

www.theantidrug.com - This site contains the latest studies and information on a wide range of drugs along with advice for addressing and preventing drug use.

www.drugfreeamerica.org - Provides helpful information for parents on how to recognize, talk about and prevent drug use with their kids.

Based on the following research, you are encouraged to access resources that will help your family obtain counseling and services that will meet your family’s basic needs, i.e., housing, employment, etc., in addition to drug and alcohol treatment:

Basic family needs such as food, shelter, and safety “must be addressed before a parent has the ability to focus on his or her addiction.” “Particularly among women, mental illness and substance abuse are often intertwined. If the underlying psychiatric problem is not addressed, the factors causing the drug problem have not gone away and relapse is likely to result.” “The relationship between domestic violence and substance abuse is well documented …`failure to address domestic violence issues interferes with treatment effectiveness and contributes to relapse.’” “According to several research studies, between 41 percent and 74 percent of women in treatment for alcohol and other drugs reported being childhood or adult victims of sexual abuse …”1

1A Report to Congress on Substance Abuse and Child Protection, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Click here to return back to the Klamath County Reentry Initiative Homepage.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License